The European Spallation Source is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe. The ESS is a partnership of 13 European countries and occupies a truly impressive campus based in the beautiful, cosmopolitan university city of Lund, Sweden – just 10 minutes from Malmö and 30 minutes from Copenhagen.
We are now looking to appoint a Vacuum Technician for the Accelerator division.
The vacuum team is responsible for all technical vacuum systems at ESS, working alongside partner institutions and other groups developing the design of these systems including the definition of interfaces with specific partners. The team is also responsible for the specification and procurement of vacuum equipment and the installation and commissioning of these vacuum systems during the construction of ESS.
About the role
As the successful candidate for the Vacuum Technician role your main areas of responsibility will be to:
- Assemble, test, certify and document the vacuum equipment and other related systems and their components.
- Set-up, operate, calibrate and maintain process and test vacuum equipment and apparatus.
- Assist in the maintenance of documentation records for assembly, repair, testing and qualification of the vacuum and other related systems and their components.
- Develop procedures and documentation related to the design, fabrication, testing, and repair of vacuum and other related systems and their components.
- Participate in the development and communication of safety, quality and other procedures for vacuum and other related systems and their component assembly.
- Use and develop automated tools to collect, record, and analyse data for acceptance, operation and maintenance of vacuum and other related systems and their components.
- Use electronic and mechanical test and measurement equipment to verify vacuum system and component performance and integrity.
- Assist in the planning, installation, assembly, commissioning and operation of the vacuum system and other related systems and their components.
We are looking for a person that really enjoys working as a technician. The ideal candidate is willing to learn, and if not all qualifications below are met, we will provide the opportunity to learn on the job, both in courses and hands-on training.
A suitable background for this role would be:
- Technical degree in Vacuum or correlated areas as mechanical and industrial combined with vacuum experience
- At least 5 years of vacuum experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of electrical power, instrumentation and computers is required
- Experience in construction, assembly, troubleshooting, repair vacuum equipment
- Leak detection experience
- Experience in calibration and test vacuum instruments with documentation and test reports.
- Good written and oral communications skills in English
In addition, experience in the following is an advantage:
Ultra-high vacuum equipment and environment
Particle-free clean room
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, is responsible and has a good judgement. It is also important to be a true team player and enjoy interacting with others. The work as a technician is sometimes physically challenging, and the candidate should enjoy being active on the field.
What can we offer?
Aside from the opportunity to work at one of only 4 linear accelerator-based spallation sources on the whole planet, you can also expect:
- An opportunity to contribute to the future discoveries within neutron science.
- A stunning, brand new workplace filled with innovative minds and brilliant people from across the globe.
- A challenging and exciting work environment.
- Market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities, and achievements.
- Benefits including 30 days of annual leave as well as more than 10 days of public holiday and company days off or days with limited working hours.
- Monthly pension contributions on top of your salary
- Relocation support and allowances
- Flexible working arrangements and a real work-life balance.
- An excellent quality of life in the highly sought after, family-friendly, beautiful and well-connected Southern Sweden/Greater Copenhagen region.
Duration & Location
The position is a permanent position.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.