SICK is a world-leading supplier of sensors and sensor solutions for industrial applications. We are 11 000 employees in 50 countries and our headquarter is in Freiburg, Germany. SICK in Linköping is an innovation center for Machine Vision and we are 80 committed employees with a big interest in image processing and visualization. For more than 35 years, our team at SICK Linköping has successfully developed and delivered software for technically leading products within the field of 2D and 3D vision, as well as system solutions for i.e., robot guidance and quality control.
What you will do
SICK Robot Guidance team consist of 14 employees that together form a cross-functional PM+RD team. Product managers, Application Engineers, SW developers and SW test. All working together to solve todays and tomorrows Robot Guidance needs within Flexible Automation application domain. In short – We put eyes on industrial robots, for locating parts to pick.
This summer internship will be about creation of off-line demo applications of our Robot
Guidance systems suitable for:
1) Basic hands-on training sessions in our Robot Guidance trainings. Creation of pedagogic training data sets for target industrial applications like random bin-picking or de-palletizing with our 2D/3D Robot Guidance systems.
2) Off-line sales demo presentations of our Robot Guidance systems. Demonstrating our RG systems at customers with SW emulator and recorded data sets.
This summer internship will focus on:
1) Finding suitable object(s) (*) – Many of our targeted industrial applications are general (like random bin-picking) but for each customer also specific with objects and designs protected by IP rights. For our demo and sales presentations we need objects with a design that is not protected by IP, or designed by ourselves.
2) Making recordings with these objects using SICK Robot Guidance systems (3D and 2D applications). System setup and job configurations. Parameter tunings and optimizing localization of these objects using our RG systems (PLB primarily, also PLOC2D)
3) Finally – but most important! Generating a demo guide, step-by-step, in written form and also a video showing the steps for the chosen target applications/objects. A “how-to” guide from A-to-Z, i.e. from installing PLB SW to demonstrating the localization using recordings inside PLB studio)
(*): If no objects are found, create new objects using CAD program and 3D printer. User
If you have an interest in user experience, robot guidance, curious about modern 2D/3D applications for todays and tomorrow’s industry needs and want to be a part of our continuous improvements, you are warmly welcome to contribute!
What you need
- High interest in User Experience. A pedagogic, structured and social mindset. We need to create training / demo material that gives receiver a wow effect and “that is really easy” first impression of our RG systems.
- Interest in machine vision and basic competence in image processing/image analysis.
- Interest in robotics.
- If you also have competence in CAD programs and robotics, we find that extra valuable.
What we offer you
Our motto at SICK IVP is to provide world leading solutions in Machine Vision. We have high demands on ourselves and have a helpful attitude towards each other in reaching best possible results. We offer you engaged and dedicated colleagues, exciting technological challenges, a stimulating international collaboration environment, and a culture based on freedom with responsibility. Together we strive for a good balance between work and leisure, which has resulted in a several times awarded working environment.
Period of time
June – August (8 weeks)
If you have questions regarding the summer internship, please e-mail to
Rickard Ekberg, Head of Robot Guidance, firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlotte Axelsson, HR Manager, email@example.com
We are looking forward to your application no later than 2022-02-26!
At SICK in Linköping, we are very proud of being a healthy and attractive workplace. For many years, we have been elected as one of the best workplaces in Sweden according to the survey Great Place to Work, the latest award is from 2021. We work actively to reduce our climate footprint and we are active in various ways to contribute to the society and to increase diversity at our workplace.