At UMS Skeldar, one of the world’s most advanced unmanned helicopter is developed and produced. It is designed to support tactical operations for surveillance, emergency response, along with homeland security, and defence.
During the spring 2024, we are looking for two master thesis students to study how to model the fuel consumption of a mission with the aim of supporting the operator to plan and fly the mission without running out of fuel.
When flying an unmanned helicopter, the operator needs to consider the fuel consumption to ensure to bring the helicopter back to the home base and land before running out of fuel. The fuel consumption depends on several factors, such as helicopter speed, wind, altitude, and flying in a fuel economic manner can significantly increase the endurance. The goal of this master thesis work is to develop a model of the fuel consumption that can be used for supporting the pilot when planning a mission as well as during flight.
We believe that the work will include modelling, system identification and evaluation.
Suggested steps in the master thesis are:
- Investigate which parameters that influence the fuel consumption.
- Develop one or several fuel consumption models.
- Evaluate the model(s) with flight test data.
- (Optional) Develop a concept of how to use the model for supporting remote pilots of unmanned helicopters
Does it sound interesting? Apply today!
Are you the one we are looking for?
We are looking for two master thesis students that plan to do their master thesis during spring 2024 within a relevant engineering area, for example Mechatronics, Electronic Design, Computer Science, Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering. To succeed with this master thesis, you need to have knowledge within modelling and system identification.
We place great importance on personal qualities for you to thrive in the role. We are looking for you who are self-propelled problem solvers with the ability to collaborate. The position requires both English and Swedish in speech and writing.
- A unique opportunity to be part of a fast-growing company.
- A high-tech product that is currently at the forefront of the market.
- A familiar work culture characterized by spirit of cooperation and high commitment.
- Workplace: Linköping.
- Start: Spring 2024
- We ask you to include grade documentation in your application to get information about which courses you have completed.
For employment within UMS Skeldar, it is required that you will be approved in accordance with the Swedish Protective Security Act. For some roles with certain security-sensitive activities it may require certain citizenship.
We process applications on an ongoing basis. We look forward to your application!
Key words: Master Thesis, modelling, system identification, fuel consumption, unmanned helicopter, UAV.